Somerset County, NJ Historic Sites
George Washington slept here. Really! Somerset County has long been a draw for noteworthy people, places and events. Come bear witness to its historic sites, homes and museums, spanning eras that include colonial times, the American Revolution and beyond.
Located on a picturesque hilltop, the Van Liew-Suydam House was constructed in 1875 by Peter Suydam. It is a fine example of Victorian-Italianate agricultural dwellings common to the Eastern seaboard in the mid 19th century. The ornate woodworking on the porch and walls clearly demonstrates the architecture of a 19th century Victorian farmhouse. The home is owned by Franklin Township and Learn More …Read More
Built in the early 1700s, the Van Veghten House served as headquarters for Quartermaster General Nathaniel Green during the Middlebrook Cantonment of 1778-1779. It was originally a brick one and one half story dwelling that was widened and enlarged to two and one half stories, probably prior to the Revolution. In the late 1830s the home was updated to the Learn More …Read More
The Van Wickle House is an excellent example of New Jersey Dutch style, which combines Dutch, Flemish and English characteristics. The original section of the house may have been constructed as early as 1722 by Symen Van Wickle, a prosperous land owner. The interior of this section clearly shows the Dutch system of post-and-beam construction. The house still has Learn More …Read More
The Vermeule Mansion is a Greek Revival style home which was probably constructed in 1840. In 1870 Jeremiah Van Derventer enlarged and remodeled the home in the Second Empire style, adding a mansard roofed third story. Van Derventer was a successful businessman who served as president of the First National Bank of Plainfield as well as the president of Learn More …Read More
The Wallace House is an eight room Dutch framed Georgian dwelling constructed in 1776 by John Wallace, a Philadelphia fabric merchant. The recently restored house maintains its 18th century appearance. It was General Washington’s headquarters from December 1778 to June 1779, when the Continental Army was stationed at Middlebrook. It was there that Washington planned the strategic Sullivan Campaign, Learn More …Read More
The Woodfern Road Bridge is a two-span Pratt through truss with pin-connected joints. It carries Woodfern Road over the South Branch of the Raritan River. It was built in two parts, in 1901-1902, by manufacturer John W. Scott and Somerset County engineer Joshua Doughty, Jr. The southern span is 84 feet long and the northern span is 101 feet Learn More …Read More