Somerset County, NJ Historic Sites
George Washington slept here. Really! Somerset County has long been a draw for noteworthy people, places and events. Come bear witness to its historic sites, homes and museums, spanning eras that include colonial times, the American Revolution and beyond.
Through educational exhibits and programs, The Children’s Museum of Somerset County hopes to inspire every child’s natural curiosity and creativity, and to nurture a love of learning. The museum also showcases the talents of young adults in the county.Read More
The 55 acre Codington Farmstead was built by Issac Codington in Mount Horeb (now Warren Township). The farmhouse dates back to 1742, and is the oldest structure in New Jersey continuously owned and operated by the same family. The Codington House, expanded in 1780, 1820 and 1870, is now owned by Warren Twp. The house has furnishings and decorative arts spanning the 18th to Learn More …Read More
Constructed in 1888 in the Gothic Revival style, the Daniel Robert House was designed by architects Lambert and Bunnell of Bridgeport, Connecticut. It is a faithful replica of Andrew Jackson Davis’s Harral House, also located in Bridgeport. The house is remarkably preserved and retains most of its original Gothic Revival detailing. The Borough continues to use the building as its Learn More …Read More
The Delaware and Raritan Canal ("D&R Canal") traverses 22 miles of Somerset County, from Landing Lane in the eastern section of Franklin Township through South Bound Brook to Kingston in the southern section of Franklin. Historic structures include: the locks at South Bound Brook and Griggstown; the homes of the bridgetenders and locktenders at Zarephath, Weston, East Millstone, Blackwells Learn More …Read More
See listing for Franklin TownshipRead More
The Dirck Gulick House is a small, one-story stone vernacular Dutch structure with segmented arches of stone above the doors and windows, as well as two front entrances. The original stone plaque, which still exists on the front facade, reads: "D + G G This House Built In the Year 1752." The use of stone by the Dutch in the Raritan Learn More …Read More