Somerset County, NJ Historic Sites
George Washington slept here. Really! Somerset County has long been a draw for noteworthy people, places and events. Come bear witness to its historic sites, homes and museums, spanning eras that include colonial times, the American Revolution and beyond.
The Old Dutch Parsonage, a Georgian style structure, was built in 1751 for the Reverend John Frelinghuysen with funds from three Dutch Reformed churches in the Raritan Valley. The Old Dutch Parsonage remained a pastor’s residence until 1810; it subsequently was owned by a prominent local physician. In 1907 the Central Railroad of New Jersey purchased the property to Learn More …Read More
The Old Millstone Forge is home to what was the longest operating blacksmith shop in America. It served the area as an active blacksmith’s shop until the death, in 1959, of its last blacksmith Edward H. Wyckoff, who served a remarkable 64 years. The building was restored by area residents in the 1960s and is currently operated as a blacksmith Learn More …Read More
Possibly constructed as early as 1731, the Old Stone Arch Bridge may be the oldest bridge in New Jersey. The bridge formerly carried the Raritan Road, an important Colonial era roadway, over the Bound Brook. It was the scene of a portion of the Battle of Bound Brook when, on April 13, 1777, Hessian troops at the bridge were Learn More …Read More
Built across Bedens Brook in 1822, the Opossum Road Bridge is a double-arched, random-rubble stone bridge which retains its original stonework, arches, parapets and approaches. It is a good example not only of local bridgebuilding methods, but also of stone construction in general in the county. The bridge is 54 feet long, 15 feet wide and rises to a Learn More …Read More
In December 1778, while General Washington’s main army was encamped at nearby Middlebrook, a portion of the Brigade of Artillery was encamped at Pluckemin. The Pluckemin Continental Artillery Cantonment separation of the infantry from the artillery gave General Henry Knox, commander of the Artillery, the chance to implement ideas he had been developing for the improvement of the Continental Learn More …Read More
Constructed by the Central New Jersey Railroad in the early 1890s, this station is a fine example of the Richardsonian Romanesque style with Gothic elements. It has heavy rock-faced stone walls and a flared, overhanging hipped roof. The dormers have elaborate scalloped bargeboards. The interior is finished entirely in varnished match boards. The architect is not known; however, it Learn More …Read More