Somerset County, NJ Historic Sites
George Washington slept here. Really! Somerset County has long been a draw for noteworthy people, places and events. Come bear witness to its historic sites, homes and museums, spanning eras that include colonial times, the American Revolution and beyond.
The Hendrick Fisher House, built c. 1688 for William Dockwra, is believed to be the oldest historic structure in Somerset County. The house was owned by Hendrick Fisher (originally Visscher), a Revolutionary firebrand and farmer whose resistance to the British during the six years the Revolution was fought in New Jersey, contributed to the patriots’ ultimate victory. In the Learn More …Read More
The Hibernia Mine Railroad Bridge, constructed in 1879, is a pin-connected Pratt through-truss bridge with wrought iron Phoenix columns. It is the oldest surviving metal truss bridge in Somerset County, the second oldest Phoenix column bridge in the state and the only one built as a railroad bridge. It was built by Clark, Reeves and Company as a rail-carrying Learn More …Read More
The Higginsville Road Bridges are two pin-connected, Pratt through-truss metal road bridges. The northerly bridge, which is bisected by the county line, was constructed in 1890 by the Miliken Brothers of New York. There are few documented examples of Miliken Brothers bridges, which increases its significance. The southerly bridge, entirely in Somerset County, was constructed in 1893 by the Learn More …Read More
The KMS Farmstead consists of an 18th century dwelling, a circa 1800 wagon house, a mid-to late 18th century barn, and a number of 19th century outbuildings. The farmhouse, wagon house, and English barn are significant as early examples of English and modified Dutch framing techniques, as well as for their association with the Reverend Samuel Kennedy, a distinguished local Learn More …Read More
The Kingston Bridge is the second oldest remaining bridge in Somerset County. It was built in 1798 to replace the wooden bridge burned during the Revolution, and is the county’s largest stone road bridge, consisting of four arches. The bridge was constructed to carry the King’s Highway, now Route 27, over the Millstone River. This road was an important Learn More …Read More
The original section of this house was most likely constructed between 1766 and 1774 by Thomas Terrill, Sr. It utilizes an H-bent frame, a hallmark of Dutch-American architecture. The house has been expanded and altered several times over the past three centuries, including a two-and a-half story four room section constructed circa 1795. After the death of Thomas Terrill Learn More …Read More