Somerset County, NJ Historic Sites
George Washington slept here. Really! Somerset County has long been a draw for noteworthy people, places and events. Come bear witness to its historic sites, homes and museums, spanning eras that include colonial times, the American Revolution and beyond.
The Garden State’s most magnificent Gilded Age mansion, set atop the beautiful Somerset Hills in Peapack-Gladstone. Featured as the 2014 Mansion in May! Plan your visit today.Read More
The Boudinot Southard Ross Farmstead consists of a complex of farm-related buildings located in a beautiful rural setting. These buildings include: a two and one-half story farmhouse: a mid-19th century bank barn; the carriage house; a potting shed; and a well house. The site was the home of Elias Boudinot, President of the Continental Congress and signer of the Treaty of Paris. Learn More …Read More
Constructed in 1913 by the Reading Railroad, this Flemish-bond brick structure has a brick balustrade and limestone trim. It was designed by William I. Houghton, architect of the Philadelphia and Reading railroad in the Classical Revival style with Colonial Revival influences. The platform canopies are hung from the building and attached to it by lionhead features. The waiting room Learn More …Read More
The Brick Academy, sometimes called the Basking Ridge Classical School, was constructed by the Reverend Robert Finley, a pastor of the Presbyterian Church at Basking Ridge. Constructed in 1809 in the Federal style, it is representative of numerous classical seminaries created in New Jersey during the 19th century for educating the male children of wealthy citizens of the state. Learn More …Read More
The Bridge Street Bridge was constructed in 1918 by the Phoenix Bridge Company as part of the Reading Railroad grade crossing elimination project. It is a 121 foot long, single-span, eight-panel Warren thru-truss, supported on scored concrete abutments. This is the only surviving truss bridge of its type in Somerset County. The bridge was recently restored and rehabilitated by Learn More …Read More
This simple single-arch stone bridge with an eleven-foot span was built of local fieldstone in 1825. It carries Montgomery Road over the Cat Tail Brook. It is one of the two remaining stone-arch bridges in Hillsborough Township and is a fine example of local stone craftsmanship of the early 19th century. It is maintained by Somerset County.Read More