Somerset County, NJ Historic Sites
George Washington slept here. Really! Somerset County has long been a draw for noteworthy people, places and events. Come bear witness to its historic sites, homes and museums, spanning eras that include colonial times, the American Revolution and beyond.
The Somerset County Court House Green is composed of three main structures: the Court House, the Lord Memorial Fountain and the First Dutch Reformed Church. The church is a free interpretation of an English Gothic church . Constructed in 1897, it was designed by William Appleton Potter, renowned for his architecture on the Princeton University campus. The church is Learn More …Read More
The Lord Memorial Fountain, erected in 1910, was designed by John Russell Pope, one of America’s last great neo-classical architects. He also designed the Jefferson Memorial, and the National Gallery of Art. The fountain was sculpted by John Boyde and Thomas C. Post Trolearen.Read More
The Somerville Fire Museum originally housed the West End Hose Company. The two-story brick structure was constructed in 1888, in the Romanesque Revival style, following a public outcry for fire protection services at the west end of town. The building has undergone very few alterations and includes the original colored glass window on the second floor, one-over-one sash windows Learn More …Read More
The South Branch School House, constructed in 1873, is a well-preserved example of the one-room vernacular Victorian-Italianate schoolhouses that once abounded in New Jersey. Almost all of its original exterior and interior features have been preserved, including vertical beaded tongue-and-groove wainscoting on all four interior walls. The Township has restored the original bell tower, which had been removed. The Learn More …Read More
Constructed in 1892, Tulipwood is a rare surviving example of the Shingle Style in Somerset County. Tulipwood was thought to have been designed by New York architect J. August Lienau for Stephen G. Williams, a New York attorney. In 1920 the property was sold to Leigh W. Kimball, a professor of romance languages at Rutgers University. The Kimball family owned the Learn More …Read More
Located on a picturesque hilltop, the Van Liew-Suydam House was constructed in 1875 by Peter Suydam. It is a fine example of Victorian-Italianate agricultural dwellings common to the Eastern seaboard in the mid 19th century. The ornate woodworking on the porch and walls clearly demonstrates the architecture of a 19th century Victorian farmhouse. The home is owned by Franklin Township and Learn More …Read More