Six Mile Run Historic DistrictSouth Middlebush Road
Franklin Township, NJ
The Six Mile Run Historic District encompasses exceptionally well-preserved vistas of a Dutch-settled, rural 19th century landscape that once characterized the Raritan Valley. The numerous farmsteads represent the evolution of a rural agricultural economy from the early 18th century to the early 20th century. The 198 contributing structures include 18th and 19th century dwellings, a number of New World Dutch barns, English barns, smoke houses, corncribs, granaries and other outbuildings. Significant structures in the district include the Dutch vernacular Wyckoff-Garretson house, constructed 1730-1810, as well as the Italianate Van Liew-Suydam House and the Hageman House, both constructed c. 1875. Other houses exhibit influences of the Federal and Greek Revival styles.