Somerset County, NJ Historic Sites
George Washington slept here. Really! Somerset County has long been a draw for noteworthy people, places and events. Come bear witness to its historic sites, homes and museums, spanning eras that include colonial times, the American Revolution and beyond.
The Millstone Borough Hall was originally a one room school house constructed circa 1860. It still contains its original tin ceiling and tongue-and-groove beadboard wainscoting. Used as a school until around 1940, it now serves as the municipal building, and is currently being restored by the Borough.Read More
Located in the narrow Millstone River Valley in north central New Jersey, the Millstone Valley Scenic Byway offers you a glimpse into the past where well-preserved pieces of the canal era, the revolutionary war era, and early Dutch and American heritage live on. In addition to the major Revolutionary War troop movements and military campaigns that took place along the Learn More …Read More
It takes only about one hour to drive the byway itself. However, it takes time to explore the historic villages of Griggstown, East Millstone, Millstone Borough , the Borough of Rocky Hill, and Kingston, and the historic districts and nature preserves, the Delaware Raritan Canal, Six Mile Run, Blackwell Mills, Colonial Park, River Road Agricultural District, Griggstown Grasslands, the village Learn More …Read More
This meeting house was constructed in 1786 by the county’s first Baptist congregation, in part with materials salvaged from an earlier structure. It is one of the few 18th century timber-frame meeting houses in New Jersey that retains much of its original character. The meeting house is a representative example of the simple church structures erected throughout the United Learn More …Read More
Natirar is a 411-acre property located in the scenic hills of Somerset County. The property is rich in culture and history, featuring historic farm buildings and various other residential structures and outbuildings dating from the mid-18th through mid-19th centuries. Natirar’s extensive areas of lawn and woodland, river access and scenic views are just part of its beauty. The North Learn More …Read More
The Nevius Street Bridge is a three hundred foot long, two-span, double-intersection Pratt through-truss bridge. It is the last double-intersection Pratt truss bridge and the oldest metal-truss bridge in the county, and was constructed in 1886 by the Wrought Iron Bridge Company of Canton, Ohio. The Nevius Street Bridge is maintained by Somerset County.Read More