Somerset County, NJ Historic Sites
George Washington slept here. Really! Somerset County has long been a draw for noteworthy people, places and events. Come bear witness to its historic sites, homes and museums, spanning eras that include colonial times, the American Revolution and beyond.
The Abraham Staats House is an exceptional example of 18th- and early 19th-century Dutch and Federal architecture. The Dutch section, constructed circa 1740, has Dutch-style cast-iron hinges, board-and-batten doors, Dutch mantels and woodwork and exposed beams. The Federal section has an intact door surround with delicate leaded glass and original Federal mantel. The house was the headquarters for Learn More …Read More
An outstanding and rare example of an American field fortification, the American Redoubt is typical of the earthworks that were erected by both sides in the area during the war. It is one of the few remaining intact and unaltered Revolutionary War redoubts left in the United States. This particular earthwork was constructed in June 1777 to protect the right flank Learn More …Read More
The Andrew Ten Eyck House is an important example of the township’s early domestic architecture. The original brick portion of the house was constructed in the early 19th century, while the frame rear portion was added in the early 20th century. Early interior fabric still remaining includes door and window surrounds, door panels and fireplace mantels in the Federal Learn More …Read More
The Bedens Brook Road Bridge, maintained by Somerset County, is a single-arch, random-rubble stone structure built across a tributary of Bedens Brook. Its construction date is unknown but it is thought to have been constructed in the latter part of the 19th century. The bridge is remarkably intact, retaining its stonework, arch, wing walls and parapets (the low walls along Learn More …Read More
The Bedensville Schoolhouse was built in 1853 in the Dutch style. It was moved to its present site and accurately restored by of the Bicentennial Committee, the Van Harlingen Historical Society, and local residents. Located on the grounds of the Orchard Hill Elementary School, it is now operated as a living history museum by the Van Harlingen Historical Society. Learn More …Read More
The Bernardsville Train Station began operation in 1872, and it soon became one of the favorite stopping points of wealthy vacationers from New York. Dubbed "The Millionaire’s Express," the train to Bernardsville promised respite from the commotion of the city, as well as lucrative business prospects.Read More