Franklin Township, NJ 08808
Built circa 1834 when the D&R Canal was constructed, this structure housed the bridgetender and his family. In the early days of the Canal there were drawbridges which had to be raised in order to allow the mules and boats to pass along the canal. The Griggstown Bridgetender’s House is a good example of a three bay center hall house common along the Canal. It is one of only two stone houses in Griggstown. Plans are underway for its restoration.