South Branch School House2120 South Branch Road
Branchburg, NJ 08876
The South Branch School House, constructed in 1873, is a well-preserved example of the one-room vernacular Victorian-Italianate schoolhouses that once abounded in New Jersey. Almost all of its original exterior and interior features have been preserved, including vertical beaded tongue-and-groove wainscoting on all four interior walls. The Township has restored the original bell tower, which had been removed. The school was the first in the area built expressly as a tuition-free public school following the 1871 Free School Bill. It is owned and maintained by Branchburg Township.