The Somerville Fire Museum originally housed the West End Hose Company. The two-story brick structure was constructed in 1888, in the Romanesque Revival style, following a public outcry for fire protection services at the west end of town. The building has undergone very few alterations and includes the original colored glass window on the second floor, one-over-one sash windows and brick arch with a granite keystone engraved "West End Hose, 1888." Since 1970 the fire station has been the home of the Somerville Fire Museum. The museum houses the Amoskeag Steamer, Somerville’s first piece of steam-operated equipment, firefighting memorabilia and a wealth of photographs. The building is operated by the Borough of Somerville and has recently been restored.