Somerset County, NJ Historic Sites
George Washington slept here. Really! Somerset County has long been a draw for noteworthy people, places and events. Come bear witness to its historic sites, homes and museums, spanning eras that include colonial times, the American Revolution and beyond.
The Museum is housed in the Vermeule Community Center, an early 19th century mansion located on a beautiful eight-acre Green Acres tract. The museum contains over 800 cameras, illustrating the 150 year evolution of camera design, and examples of many of the photographic processes which evolved during that period. The mission of the museum is to preserve and display these Learn More …Read More
The Franklin Inn was constructed by Cornelius Van Liew in 1752 as a Dutch farmhouse. During the American Revolution it is reputed to have served as the headquarters for British General Cornwallis while his troops camped nearby. In 1829 the house was converted to a tavern in preparation for the opening of the Delaware and Raritan Canal in 1834. Learn More …Read More
The General John Frelinghuysen House was the homestead of the Frelinghuysen family, significant in New Jersey history. General John Frelinghuysen was an attorney who served as a Brigadier General during the War of 1812 and was later the Surrogate of Somerset County. The main part of the house was originally constructed as a one-and-a-half story brick structure in 1750, Learn More …Read More
A fine example of the Queen Anne style, this station was constructed in 1890. Owned by NJ Transit, the station is a one-and-a-half-story structure with a hipped roof and flared eaves. The dormers, with square-pane windows and cylindrical-corner projections, are of particular interest. The interior walls and ceilings are sheathed with match boards. Scenes for the Helen Keller Story were filmed Learn More …Read More
Built circa 1834 when the D&R Canal was constructed, this structure housed the bridgetender and his family. In the early days of the Canal there were drawbridges which had to be raised in order to allow the mules and boats to pass along the canal. The Griggstown Bridgetender’s House is a good example of a three bay center hall Learn More …Read More
The Griggstown School House was constructed circa 1830 in the Gothic Revival style. This one-room schoolhouse has board and batten siding with pedimented window heads and Greek Revival moldings. It was originally located along Canal Road; it was moved to a site behind the Griggstown Reformed Church in 1854 and moved again in 1960 when the Church built a new Learn More …Read More