Pluckemin Continental Artillery Cantonment2020 Burnt Mills Road
Bedminster, NJ 07921
908-212-7000 ext. 611
In December 1778, while General Washington’s main army was encamped at nearby Middlebrook, a portion of the Brigade of Artillery was encamped at Pluckemin. The Pluckemin Continental Artillery Cantonment separation of the infantry from the artillery gave General Henry Knox, commander of the Artillery, the chance to implement ideas he had been developing for the improvement of the Continental Army’s ordnance capabilities. A complex of buildings was constructed on the site, including a large, architecturally sophisticated academy building as well as barracks, officers’ quarters and armorers’ shops. The cantonment successfully trained the officers and men of the artillery brigade and made necessary repairs to artillery ordnance. Plans are underway to study the 190,000 artifacts uncovered at the site by the Pluckemin Archaeological Project and to interpret the site, which is now surrounded by the Hills housing development.