Somerset County, NJ Historic Sites
George Washington slept here. Really! Somerset County has long been a draw for noteworthy people, places and events. Come bear witness to its historic sites, homes and museums, spanning eras that include colonial times, the American Revolution and beyond.
The KMS Farmstead consists of an 18th century dwelling, a circa 1800 wagon house, a mid-to late 18th century barn, and a number of 19th century outbuildings. The farmhouse, wagon house, and English barn are significant as early examples of English and modified Dutch framing techniques, as well as for their association with the Reverend Samuel Kennedy, a distinguished localRead More
The Kingston Bridge is the second oldest remaining bridge in Somerset County. It was built in 1798 to replace the wooden bridge burned during the Revolution, and is the county’s largest stone road bridge, consisting of four arches. The bridge was constructed to carry the King’s Highway, now Route 27, over the Millstone River. This road was an importantRead More
The original section of this house was most likely constructed between 1766 and 1774 by Thomas Terrill, Sr. It utilizes an H-bent frame, a hallmark of Dutch-American architecture. The house has been expanded and altered several times over the past three centuries, including a two-and a-half story four room section constructed circa 1795. After the death of Thomas TerrillRead More
The Limestone Kilns in Peapack are all that remains of a thriving limestone business known as Todd’s Quarry. The kilns are composed of two adjacent kilns separated by a vertical joint visible in the stone wall, which suggests they may have been constructed at different times. The front wall, constructed of hewn stone, is 26 feet high and isRead More
The Long House was believed to have been constructed by Cornelius Simonson as a grain storage facility in the second quarter of the 19th century. At one time the building served as a store, post office and interpretive center. Plans are underway to restore the building and again use it as an interpretive center.Read More
Two brick buildings are all that remain of the Lord Stirling/William Alexander estate. Research has established these were auxiliary buildings related to farm life (granary, farm office, perhaps used by domestic servants). Archeological digs are ongoing on site which is owned by the Somerset County Park Commission.Read More