Hibernia Mine Rail Road Bridge Pedestrian Path1106 Old York Rd
Raritan, NJ 08869
The Hibernia Mine Railroad Bridge, constructed in 1879, is a pin-connected Pratt through-truss bridge with wrought iron Phoenix columns. It is the oldest surviving metal truss bridge in Somerset County, the second oldest Phoenix column bridge in the state and the only one built as a railroad bridge. It was built by Clark, Reeves and Company as a rail-carrying bridge, and was located on the Hibernia Mine Railroad in Morris County, New Jersey. In 1894 the bridge was moved to Mill Lane in Hillsborough Township (Somerset County) to carry vehicular traffic as part of a grade-crossing elimination project by the Central Railroad of New Jersey. It was moved to its present location over the Raritan Power Canal by Somerset County in 2006.