Delaware & Raritan Canal State Park
Franklin Township, NJ
The Kingston Bridge is the second oldest remaining bridge in Somerset County. It was built in 1798 to replace the wooden bridge burned during the Revolution, and is the county’s largest stone road bridge, consisting of four arches. The bridge was constructed to carry the King’s Highway, now Route 27, over the Millstone River. This road was an important stage coach line that crossed the state between New York and Philadelphia. The Kingston Bridge is an excellent example of late eighteenth century masonry. The bridge was closed to traffic in 1963 and is now part of the Delaware & Raritan Canal State Park.