Higginsville Road BridgesHigginsville Road over the South Branch of the Raritan River
Hillsborough, NJ 08844
The Higginsville Road Bridges are two pin-connected, Pratt through-truss metal road bridges. The northerly bridge, which is bisected by the county line, was constructed in 1890 by the Miliken Brothers of New York. There are few documented examples of Miliken Brothers bridges, which increases its significance. The southerly bridge, entirely in Somerset County, was constructed in 1893 by the Wrought Iron Bridge Company of Canton, Ohio. The Wrought Iron Bridge Company was recognized as one of the most significant regional manufacturers of metal-truss bridges. Maintained by Somerset County, both bridges are fine examples of 19th-century engineering and construction, and are remarkably preserved.