Built in the early 1700s, the Van Veghten House served as headquarters for Quartermaster General Nathaniel Green during the Middlebrook Cantonment of 1778-1779. It was originally a brick one and one half story dwelling that was widened and enlarged to two and one half stories, probably prior to the Revolution. In the late 1830s the home was updated to the Greek Revival style by Richard Van Veghten. The Somerset County Historical Society now operates the site.
Van Veghten House
Subscribe now and receive the latest news, plus our coveted Weekend Top 10!