The Dirck Gulick House is a small, one-story stone vernacular Dutch structure with segmented arches of stone above the doors and windows, as well as two front entrances. The original stone plaque, which still exists on the front facade, reads:
“D + G G This House Built In the Year 1752.”
The use of stone by the Dutch in the Raritan Valley was rare. Since the dwelling was constructed at the base of the Sourland Mountain, the availability of nearby fieldstone may have influenced the use of stone. Dirck Gulick, one of the area’s original settlers, purchased the property in 1727. The house is the headquarters of the Van Harlingen Historical Society of Montgomery Township and houses a local research library.