The Franklin Inn was constructed by Cornelius Van Liew in 1752 as a Dutch farmhouse. During the American Revolution it is reputed to have served as the headquarters for British General Cornwallis while his troops camped nearby. In 1829 the house was converted to a tavern in preparation for the opening of the Delaware and Raritan Canal in 1834. It is now the Franklin Inn Used Bookstore and listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the East Millstone Historic District. The building is maintained by the Meadows Foundation. The house is currently closed for repairs.