The Delaware and Raritan Canal ("D&R Canal") traverses 22 miles of Somerset County, from Landing Lane in the eastern section of Franklin Township through South Bound Brook to Kingston in the southern section of Franklin. Historic structures include: the locks at South Bound Brook and Griggstown; the homes of the bridgetenders and locktenders at Zarephath, Weston, East Millstone, Blackwells Mills, Griggstown and Kingston; and spillways, aqueducts and bridges. Once an important link in the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway, the canal operated from 1834 to 1932, carrying anthracite coal, farm products, terra cotta, rock and much more. In 1866 a record 2.9 million tons were shipped through the waterway – more tonnage than was carried in any single year by the longer and more famous Erie Canal. Hours: Dawn to dusk, all year.
Delaware and Raritan Canal
Subscribe now and receive the latest news, plus our coveted Weekend Top 10!