Some of Somerset County’s most unique trails and nature preserves are still open and safe for use this spring!
Grab whoever’s at home with you, and check out these nearby natural settings.
- Fairview Farm Wildlife Preserve (Raritan Headwaters Association)
Fairview Farm Wildlife Preserve has developed an online Resource Hub for you to explore the great outdoors from wherever you’re spending your days. With new activities, crafts and content being added daily, you can be sure to find something to keep you occupied!
- Scherman Hoffman Wildlife Sanctuary (NJ Audubon Headquarters)
Of note, New Jersey Audubon is producing videos, podcasts, activities and other online tools in its Media Center to connect with nature in your own places and spaces.
- Colonial Park (Somerset, NJ) home to pristine natural areas, broad lawns and ponds. The Rudolf van der Groot Rose Garden remains closed at this time. Please note that Colonial Park Drive is closed to automobile traffic on weekends.
- Sourland Mountain Preserve (Hillsborough and Montgomery, NJ) offers several recreational opportunities in an undisturbed natural setting, including hiking, mountain biking, bird watching, bouldering, and horseback riding.
- Duke Island Park (Bridgewater, NJ) is a general use park in Somerset County that provides a wide variety of passive recreational opportunities. Duke Island Park also offers bike trails for Somerset County biking enthusiasts.
- Environmental Education Center (Basking Ridge, NJ) is great for hiking and bird watching. variety of habitats of floodplains, swamps, rivers, intermittent streams, marshes, meadows, and natural and man-made ponds, fields, and forests provide homes for diverse plant and animal populations in this environmentally sensitive park.
- Little Brook Sanctuary (Bedminster, NJ) For bird watching, hiking, and biking. You can observe birds, mammals, amphibians, reptiles, and flowers.
- Natirar Park (Peapack & Gladstone, NJ) extensive areas of lawn and woodland, river access and scenic views are just part of its beauty.
- Washington Valley Park (Bridgewater, NJ) is located between the first and second Watchung Mountains at the geographic center of Somerset County. It consists of pine and hemlock forests, open freshwater wetland marches, impressive rock outcroppings, numerous historic features and a 21-acre reservoir. Here you’ll be able to hike, bike, fish, and bird watch.
- Peony’s Envy Display Gardens & U-Pick Peony Fields (Bernardsville & Liberty Corner, respectively) you can now stroll these beautiful gardens and the gorgeous peony fields (our Destination Guide cover model!) and pick up some fresh cut peonies to go from the display gardens or cut your own at the fields!
Somerset County Park Commission has reopened its golf courses as of 7:00 am on Saturday, May 2. These include:
- Green Knoll Golf Course (Bridgewater, NJ) is an 18 hole public golf course known for its tight fairways and rolling contours.
- Neshanic Valley Golf Course (Branchburg, NJ) 27-hole championship course that covers 350 acres of rolling farmland.
- Quail Brook Golf Course (Somerset, NJ) is an 18 hole, 6,617 yard course is heavily wooded, and known for its rolling front nine and tight, hilly back nine.
- Spooky Brook Golf Course (Somerset, NJ) is situated in Colonial Park. It is an 18 hole championship course which offers a wide open layout with spacious fairways and greens.
- Warrenbrook Golf Course (Warren, NJ) is a heavily wooded and extremely tight, 6,372 yard, 18 hole course that is open to the public. The contours provide plenty of uphill and downhill lies.
So make plans now to get out and get active as the weather continues to warm up. We look forward to seeing you on the trail!