Bound Brook, NJ
Possibly constructed as early as 1731, the Old Stone Arch Bridge may be the oldest bridge in New Jersey. The bridge formerly carried the Raritan Road, an important Colonial era roadway, over the Bound Brook. It was the scene of a portion of the Battle of Bound Brook when, on April 13, 1777, Hessian troops at the bridge were "exposed to a murderous fire" from the half-moon battery located near the present roundabout in Bound Brook. The bridge has three arches and is 80 feet in length. It was widened in the late 19th century, and some time in the early 20th century the streambed under the bridge was filled. Since the main road had previously been moved to present day Main Street, the bridge was buried. Plans are under way by Somerset County to improve the site and expose the bridge for public view.